2016 English DBA Open
The 2016 English DBA Open
England’s premiere DBA competition will be held on Sunday 30th October 2016 at Stacey Community Centre in Portsmouth.
This will be the final event of the 2015-16 year of the Society of Ancients UK DBA League.
Please could players arrive and book in between 9:30-10:00 am so we can start the games by about 10:30.
Trophies sponsored by the Society of Ancients.
Prize sponsored by Magister Militum.
There will be one competition only this year, in 15mm using version 3 of the DBA rules.
- Numbers permitting, players will be organised into groups of five or six players, playing the others in their group.
- Players may use any army they chose for their group games.
- If there is more than one group, then all group winners and possibly the best of group runners—up will progress to a final and possibly semi—finals to determine the overall winners.
- These finals and semi—finals will be played with themed armies provided by the organisers.
DBA Open 2015 Rules
- De Bellis Antiquitatis (DBA) version 3 will be used.
- A “World Cup” format will be used. Initially competitors will use their own armies and terrain. Each battle will be 40-50 minutes long (unlimited for any final).
- Scoring shall be as follows:
- 5 points for a complete victory (as defined in the rule book);
- 2 points for a draw (game incomplete when time is called), if the player has destroyed more enemy elements counting towards victory than he has himself lost;
- 1 point for any other draw;
- 0 points for a loss.
- In the event of a tie within a group the winner will be determined by:
- head-head record;
- most generals killed;
- most camps/BUA sacked;
- most elements killed (including Scythed Chariots and Hordes but not including the extra for occupying a camp/BUA).
- The winner of each group (plus the best of the rest if necessary), will then play a knock-out tournament (a final and possibly semi-finals) to determine the overall winner. During the knock-out stage, competitors will secretly choose an army from all those that will be made available.
- If there are insufficient players to form at least two even groups, then the event may be restructured as a single group, with each player playing all other opponents. In this case, a knock-out phase might not be played.
- Element selection and army aggression may not be changed between battles.
DBA v3 Rules Clarifications for English DBA Open 2016.
BOARD SIZE –
• 24” x 24” boards will be provided. If one (or both) player(s) provide a non-24″ board, it may be used by mutual agreement. If players want to use different sized boards, then then should each roll a single dice after deciding who the invader is. Higher scorer has the choice. If both dice have the same score, then the invader chooses.
CORNER TO CORNER CONTACT –
• Is NOT considered front contact, so no free slide to align.
FORTS – can be entered / exited
• Only by gate, unless assaulting.
RECOILING THROUGH A CITY/FORT GATE –
• Not permitted
CAMPS, if placed on Waterways – may be placed
• Only touching a player’s rear board edge or on a Waterway along the length of the player’s rear edge.
EDIFICE as CAMP –
• May be nominated as camp only if on own baseline or a waterway edge within permitted deployment zone (i.e., not within 3 BW of centerline), and must be maximum camp sized or smaller to be so used.
• No camp may be laid as an additional edifice after the initial terrain choosing and placing process. However, a camp model with edifice-like features may be placed, but it then functions purely as a camp (not a BUA).
CAMP occupants at game start, if camp is in outer zones, – may be
• Only troop elements that may deploy in the outer zone, or camp followers.
CAMPS, if CAPTURED, are then –
• Left in place, and count as good going, unless edifice. The sacking element advances 1 base depth into the camp from the perimeter, and measures any future movement from that position.
SHOOTING (definition of ‘blocked by at least ½ BW of certain terrain’)
• Shooting is only allowed if uncrossed straight lines drawn from shooter’s front corners to target edge/ 1/2 BW section of edge do not at any stage pass through more than 20mm of blocking terrain.
DEEP WATERWAY BEHIND INVADER, PREVENTING DEPLOYMENT
• Invader is given the choice of the other two legally permitted edges, then restart from camp placement stage.
• Tactical movement in a river must be directly forwards or directly backwards, except that an element may divert by the minimum necessary to line up in close combat with an enemy element. Elements may recoil into or out of a river. A fleeing element which enters a river is destroyed.